Holy hell. We are at 7 months. Some new things I’ve tried in this stage of pregnancy:
- Prenatal Yoga. I’ve been going to Pure Yoga West. I haven’t done yoga in years. Probably about 15 years. We did a ton of sun salutations and such in acting school and I took a few classes here and there after but suffice it to say, I was a little nervous. It was great. Not easy but great. Our instructor starts and ends each class with “put one hand on your heart and one hand on your baby.” I got really choked up during my first class when we did this. I thought on it afterwards. Because I’ve never met this little alien growing inside of me, I don’t know her yet. I don’t really feel connected to her. I love her. I’m desperately, forever attached to her but, because she still feels like a separate entity, albeit one that has taken up residence in my previously-flat stomach, this idea of “sending a message to your baby” at the end of class hit me in all my soft, gooey places.
- Knife skills class. I’ve cooked sporadically over the years. When I worked at the Food Network, a couple years before I started doing stand-up, I cooked all the time (not as part of my job, I was a home cook) but I’ve never been able to do figure out that rocking knife motion all of the TV chefs do while staring straight at the camera, a growing pile of perfectly diced onions growing on their butcher blocks before them. I love Sur La Table’s products so I gave their class a whirl. It was fantastic. I’m no master and oranges really gave me a run for my money but I can now cut a pepper without one dropped seed. I have a lovely new Global chef’s knife and an Epicurean wooden cutting board. I certainly feel more efficient.
- The New York Times. Many moons ago, I used to get the Sunday Times delivered. Recently, I started doing the Times crossword again. I can do Monday in pen quite quickly and then my skills rapidly deteriorate as the week continues. I started reading the articles again and now I’m hooked. I suspect Trump and Hilary are largely to blame for this but I find myself, as I continue growing a new human being, wanted to be more informed. London just elected its first Muslim mayor? Harvard is now accepting women into its previously all-male clubs? Tell me more!
- Drake. I can now say I tried. The kids are always talking about Drake during the open mics. So I caved and purchased his latest album, Views, on the iTunes. Perhaps his previous works were stronger but I’m not a fan. I do, however, like Wizkid, who I discovered through this album so thanks, Drake.
- The Snoogle. Got myself a full-body pillow that curves on each end. Steve calls it the lizard. I love it, though shifting sides and getting out of bed in the middle of the night is a challenge.